Kids Activity: Make Your Own Snow GlobeJanuary 7, 2015
There is just something absolutely magical about snow globes. They have this ethereal quality to them that brings joy to anyone who sees one, and can instantly transport you into a little winter wonderland fantasy. And um, it’s almost impossible not to shake one!
These snow globes are inexpensive to make, mostly relying on materials you already have around the house. Plus it’s easy to put a unique unique twist on them, making these homemade wonders that much more special and relevant to your child’s interests. Fill them with soccer trinkets or ballet shoes, or whatever waterproof trinkets you have around your home. Even if you don't live in a wintry climate, you can bring a bit of the winter fun right into your home. They're so easy to make, you'll find that your kids want to make them out of everything!
- Small jars like baby food jars or mason jars, cleaned thoroughly and the label removed
- Little plastic toys to put inside, and other decorations - artificial greenery is nice!
- Mineral oil or unscented baby oil
- Fine glitter and/or crumbled styrofoam
- Heavy duty glue or epoxy
- Glue the toys to the inside of the lid and let dry completely. It’s nice to let a few items float around as well! With your hot glue gun, put a little hot glue on the bottom of your top to anchor some pieces in place. This is where imagination and resourcefulness can run wild!
- Fill the jar ¾ of the way full with oil. Add a generous amount of glitter or crumbles styrofoam.
- Put beads of glue around the edge of the lid and screw it into place. Allow the glue to dry for the amount of time recommended on the instructions.
- Shake it up and enjoy! It’s that easy!