Movie night! 7 movies to keep your family thinkingNovember 18, 2014
Looking for a way to enjoy the calm before the holiday storm this weekend with your family?
Here are seven movies to get your family thinking and talking. As a bonus, they’re all available right on Netflix, though not all in the kids section. All of these are appropriate for tweens and up. Fire up the popcorn!
- The Iron Giant - This movie is a great conversation starter about the role of government and standing up for what you believe in.
- First Position - Follow dancers training for the Youth America Grand Prix, one of the world's most prestigious ballet competitions, where the stakes are high. This documentary is compelling and thrilling, and not just for girls.
- Duck Soup - The classic Marx Brother’s comedy that’s both hilarious and wonderful conversation starter. A warning - you have to be silent and pay really close attention to get many of the jokes. Fantastic, must see film.
- Super Size Me - This one is a real challenge to watch with your kids, but worth watching and all of the conversations that it brings. It might just cause your whole family to rethink a healthy lifestyle.
- Stand By Me - A warning that this film is rated R and contains some more adult content that is really only appropriate for older kids or teens. That being said, you’ll have a hard time finding a movie that will push your children more. A wonderful way to engage with your kids.
- The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec - This is a true kids movie, but one that will get you talking about gender roles and how women can make their way in the world. Fun and frolicking, a great film!
- Remember the Titans - This thought provoking film is more than just a football movie. A PG rating means that it’s perfect for the whole family, and it’s a great place to begin a dialogue about race relations.
Like this this? Pin it here --> http://www.pinterest.com/pin/371687775470975940/